Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse
Sweet Magnolia's Farm
Advertise your Etsy Store, Blog or Website here!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Perfect Rice

Girls, I know this should be in the recipe forum....

GrandmaSoucie
post Jul 19 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Sugar Pie Mama
Group: Sugar Pie Sista

But I'm afraid you aren't reading that as often...so, what is your perfect rice recipe?

Thanks!

In everything, give thanks,
GrandmaSoucie

--------------------

GrandmaSoucie

http://grandmasoucielovestosew.blogspot.com/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
JeanM
post Jul 19 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Sugar Pie Baby

GrandmaSoucie, I have been meaning to post this recipe for months and just never got around to it. I just went to the forum where it was posted and copied and pasted it. If you use whole grain brown rice, this is an excellent way to fix it; however, if you use the more processed rice, then this would not be the recipe you'd want.

"We have been eating brown rice for the past 3 years because it is better for us, but none of us have really liked it. I was only cooking it about every 2 weeks. I found a new way to cook it on Food Network and now we are having it once or twice every week, and the whole pan is gone. I never thought brown rice could be this good. My husband said the ultimate test to see if it was good, is if you could eat it with just butter and taste good. It passed the test!! The secret is baking it in the oven. This is so much easier than even white rice. You put it in the oven and forget it for an hour and it's ready. I can cook the rest of my dinner and never think twice about it. I just wait for the timer to go off. Since all of my family is not always here and sometimes we have company, I have 3 different measurements I use. I keep these taped inside my kitchen cabinet so that I can just open the door and see the amounts. Food Network has you melt the butter in the water when you boil it, but I just put it in with the rice so that I don't have to wash the water pan. The recipe they had was also for short grain brown rice, which I can't find, so I had to add just a bit more water to get it done. So here is the recipe:

For a 8 inch pan: notice the difference in temperature if using glass/metal

Bring 2-2/3 c water to a boil.

In a 8 inch pan put 1-1/2 c brown rice, 1 TBS butter, 1 tsp. salt

Pour water over rice and stir. Cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil. Bake for one hour on 375 for glass, 400 for metal. Fluff and serve.

For a 7 x 11 pan.

Use 4 cups water, 2-1/4 c rice, 1-1/2 TBS butter, 1-1/2 tsp. salt. Cook the same.

For 9x13 pan.

3 c rice, 5-1/4 c water, 2 TBS butter, 2 tsp. salt, cook the same. "

Of course, you could flavor the water with chicken bouillion or herbs if you want.

Jean

+Quote Post
GrandmaSoucie
post Jul 19 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Sugar Pie Mama

QUOTE (JeanM @ Jul 19 2009, 09:16 AM) *
GrandmaSoucie, I have been meaning to post this recipe for months and just never got around to it. I just went to the forum where it was posted and copied and pasted it. If you use whole grain brown rice, this is an excellent way to fix it; however, if you use the more processed rice, then this would not be the recipe you'd want.

"We have been eating brown rice for the past 3 years because it is better for us, but none of us have really liked it. I was only cooking it about every 2 weeks. I found a new way to cook it on Food Network and now we are having it once or twice every week, and the whole pan is gone. I never thought brown rice could be this good. My husband said the ultimate test to see if it was good, is if you could eat it with just butter and taste good. It passed the test!! The secret is baking it in the oven. This is so much easier than even white rice. You put it in the oven and forget it for an hour and it's ready. I can cook the rest of my dinner and never think twice about it. I just wait for the timer to go off. Since all of my family is not always here and sometimes we have company, I have 3 different measurements I use. I keep these taped inside my kitchen cabinet so that I can just open the door and see the amounts. Food Network has you melt the butter in the water when you boil it, but I just put it in with the rice so that I don't have to wash the water pan. The recipe they had was also for short grain brown rice, which I can't find, so I had to add just a bit more water to get it done. So here is the recipe:

For a 8 inch pan: notice the difference in temperature if using glass/metal

Bring 2-2/3 c water to a boil.

In a 8 inch pan put 1-1/2 c brown rice, 1 TBS butter, 1 tsp. salt

Pour water over rice and stir. Cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil. Bake for one hour on 375 for glass, 400 for metal. Fluff and serve.

For a 7 x 11 pan.

Use 4 cups water, 2-1/4 c rice, 1-1/2 TBS butter, 1-1/2 tsp. salt. Cook the same.

For 9x13 pan.

3 c rice, 5-1/4 c water, 2 TBS butter, 2 tsp. salt, cook the same. "

Of course, you could flavor the water with chicken bouillion or herbs if you want.

Jean

JeanM:

This sounds great! I'll give it a try. I also received an email from my Cajun cook friend!! Here's her recipe for fool-proof rice every time:

[/center]PERFECT RICE
[center]
EVERY TIME!

No matter how much rice you’re cooking, rinse it first, then put in a pot and cover with water up to your first knuckle on your index finger! Bring the water to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, cover and turn it to low for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes fluff with a fork and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.

GrandmaSoucie

--------------------

GrandmaSoucie

+Quote Post
JeanM
post Jul 19 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #4

Sugar Pie Baby

OK, I'm going to try your friend's recipe.....do you know what kind of rice she's using? I gather it's not the brown rice since it's only 20 minutes of cooking, so I assume it's from one of those Uncle Ben's type boxes? Not necessarily that brand, but that type?????

Thanks so much!

Jean

+Quote Post
GrandmaSoucie
post Jul 19 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #5

Sugar Pie Mama

We just used the plain, long grain enriched rice! It turned out beautifully!! DH made Shrimp Etoufee today to pour over the rice, and I must say it was FAB-U-LOUS!!!! Fortunately he made enough that there are four bags full ready for the freezer as soon as it cools down!!! It's great to do stuff like this and freeze it for a night that you've worked in the yard all day or something equally exhausting!!!

Thanks!

GrandmaSoucie

--------------------

GrandmaSoucie

+Quote Post
Radiana
post Jul 19 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #6

Sugar Pie Mama

It has always been hit or miss as far as cooking perfect rice so I finally decided to get a small rice maker and it's pretty much fool proof. I do make sure to rinse the rice, however. As far as a quick tasty rice dish. After cooking the rice let it cool down some so there's no more steam. Saute some chopped green onion in butter or margarine add your rice in and saute for a few minutes then turn off the heat and put chopped hard boiled eggs on top. Let the eggs absorb some of the heat and then serve.

+Quote Post
Sunflower4jc
post Jul 20 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #7

Sugar Pie Mama

I use Minute Rice - but I add an extra 1/4 C. more of water than what they recommend on the box. I also add about a tablespoon of real butter, and just a dash of salt, then microwave it for exactly 6 minutes on High. Turns out just right!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum  
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:21 AM