Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse
Sweet Magnolia's Farm
Advertise your Etsy Store, Blog or Website here!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What to Serve with Chicken Pot Pie???

Need side dish suggestions!

Carina
post Sep 7 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Sugar Pie Baby
Group: Sugar Pie Sista

Ladies, I need your help! I make chicken pot pie often for dinner, but never know what to serve alongside it! (Just a slice of chicken pot pie on a plate doesn't seem enough for dinner to me.) There is no need for vegetables as I put carrots, potatoes, green beans and corn in the pie. It seems silly to offer dinner rolls since I'm already serving a double-crusted pie. I could do a green salad, but don't think the kids (16 mos through 11 1/2 years) would be thrilled with that. See my dilemna?

So I would love to hear your suggestions on complementary side dishes!

Thanks in advance! smile.gif

--------------------
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." --C.S. Lewis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum
2 Pages V   1 2 Next  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
amytheyarnfiend
post Sep 7 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Sugar Pie Mama

Hmmm, what to serve with a pot pie? Maybe a fruited Jell-o or homemade applesauce? Something a little sweet to ballance out the savory.

--------------------
Never dig up doubt where you have planted faith!

+Quote Post
midnightmacaroon...
post Sep 7 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Newbie Cutie

When in doubt....serve salad

--------------------

+Quote Post
busymom
post Sep 7 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Newbie Cutie

I always serve pear salad with chicken pot pie. Canned pear halves, a dollop of mayo and shredded cheese.

+Quote Post
Mrs. J
post Sep 7 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Sugar Pie Baby

That's a toughie...I was just thinking about that today, actually; it's why I decided not to make chicken pot pie this week! biggrin.gif

I like the idea of something sweet...you could do baked apples or just fresh fruit--get in lots of fruits and veggies at one meal! You could also serve some cheese. Maybe that's just a Minnesotan thing, but my mom always had sliced cheese on the table

--------------------
Mrs. J
wife to the Professor-in-training,
mother to Pookie
and you can find me reading

at thismomreads

+Quote Post
Katie
post Sep 7 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #6

Sugar Pie Teeny Bopper

Right away I thought of fruit salad and some great ones have been mentioned ... the pear salad is always a favorite at our house and if the dollop of mayo would not go over well with your kiddos, it can be sour cream or vanilla yogurt.

A big bowl of canned peaches is always popular at our house!

+Quote Post
dayle
post Sep 7 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #7

Sugar Pie Mama

QUOTE (Mrs. J @ Sep 7 2009, 02:53 PM) *
That's a toughie...I was just thinking about that today, actually; it's why I decided not to make chicken pot pie this week! biggrin.gif

I like the idea of something sweet...you could do baked apples or just fresh fruit--get in lots of fruits and veggies at one meal! You could also serve some cheese. Maybe that's just a Minnesotan thing, but my mom always had sliced cheese on the table

I like the idea of serving baked apples, I am going to do that when I serve pot pie.
Thanks
Blessings...
Dayle biggrin.gif

--------------------
Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching?

+Quote Post
JeanM
post Sep 7 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #8

Sugar Pie Baby

Mmmmm, Dayle, I like the idea of baked apples too.

A friend of mine brought us a dinner one night that consisted of a hummin' good Chicken Pot Pie......with it she brought cornbread and butter and honey mixed, a big tossed salad, and chocolate brownies for dessert. I would never have thought to have served the cornbread with it, but it was really good. I know you say your kiddos might not like the salad but maybe they would surprise you! I like all the ideas listed here.

Love, Jean

+Quote Post
Mrs. U
post Sep 7 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #9

Newbie Cutie

Definitely a BIG salad!! YUM!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carina
post Sep 8 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #10

Sugar Pie Baby

I knew I could count on y'all! Since so many of you suggested fruit/ fruit salad, I decided I would make "Nana's Fruit Salad" as I have several cans of fruit cocktail in my pantry. (All Nana did was drain a large can of fruit cocktail, slice up a banana, throw in half a bag of mini-marshmallows and mix everything together with a tub of Cool Whip, but it was yummy!) I wouldn't call this fruit salad "healthy" (Usually I just slice up fresh fruit and serve.), but the kids will all enjoy it and it does bring back fond memories of family get-togethers! smile.gif

Thanks again to all of you for helping me out! You are true sistas!

--------------------
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." --C.S. Lewis

+Quote Post
Ketha
post Sep 8 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #11

Sugar Pie Mama

I'm clueless...we don't eat Chicken Pot Pie at my house... it's a long time mental thing... too graphic to tell here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vivian Lee
post Sep 8 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #12

Sugar Pie Mama

Mashed potatoes and a big salad are good with pot pie. I also really like the cornbread idea!!!

--------------------
I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says "Oh crap....she's up!"

+Quote Post
Jeska
post Sep 9 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #13

Newbie Cutie

the nana fruit salad sounds yummy tongue.gif, also take a look at this it looks good too.

--------------------
"As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15

Visit Me At: http://www.facebook.com/2strawberryshortcake
http://02jeska.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
fairlightspencer
post Sep 11 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #14

Newbie Cutie

I love chicken pot pie and you're right ~ it needs something and I usually make a salad, but my kids LOVE green bean casserole with fried onions on top. Fruit is great too, yet my occasional sweet tooth craves chocolate after a great meal like this.

+Quote Post
GrandmaSoucie
post Sep 11 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #15

Sugar Pie Mama

Your kids may not like this either, but we love cottage cheese and pears as a salad or peaches. All the fruit suggestions are great ideas!

In everything, give thanks,
GrandmaSoucie

--------------------

In everything, give thanks,
GrandmaSoucie

http://grandmasoucielovestosew.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
honeybunch
post Sep 12 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #16

Newbie Cutie

Since chicken pot pie is a meal in itself with meat, starch and veggies, I'd toss up a salad and make some biscuits to go with it. Share your recipe? =)

Okay now- my mouth is watering cuz I love homemade chicken pot pie!!!

--------------------
Recipes from the Heart
http://heartrecipes.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
countrymuma
post Sep 12 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #17

Newbie Cutie

I would make corn bread muffins (I just use the little boxes of Jiffy mix and add some sugar to the mix and to the top of the muffins) and applesauce. Chicken pot pie...YUMMY!

+Quote Post
Suzie
post Sep 12 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #18

Newbie Cutie

Ok gals--this might sound crazy, but I have never made homemade chicken pot pie! But after reading all of these
I'm thinking it sounds like something I want to try tomorrow on my day off! smile.gif Yum! Anybody want to share a yummy,
semi easy recipe with this "pot pie newbie"! wink.gif I think my sweetie would be very happy to come home to this tomorrow
night after work!

+Quote Post
honeybunch
post Sep 13 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #19

Newbie Cutie

QUOTE (Suzie @ Sep 12 2010, 10:00 PM) *
Ok gals--this might sound crazy, but I have never made homemade chicken pot pie! But after reading all of these
I'm thinking it sounds like something I want to try tomorrow on my day off! smile.gif Yum! Anybody want to share a yummy,
semi easy recipe with this "pot pie newbie"! wink.gif I think my sweetie would be very happy to come home to this tomorrow
night after work!

This is my chicken pot pie with a twist because it is southwestern style and delish. =)

My shameless plug for the day. laugh.gif

http://heartrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/06/s...en-pot-pie.html

--------------------
Recipes from the Heart
http://heartrecipes.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
Carina
post Sep 13 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #20

Sugar Pie Baby

QUOTE (Suzie @ Sep 12 2010, 08:00 PM) *
night after work!

Suzie , here's my "semi-homemade" recipe that I use on busy days (I also have a more labor intensive recipe, but this is actually the one my family prefers!):

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp minced onion
16 oz frozen “country-style” mixed vegetables, thawed
1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 tsp of Italian herbs
½ c milk
2 tbsp heavy cream
¼ tsp pepper
Double pie crust

Cook chicken breasts in oil along with onion. When meat is thoroughly cooked, let cool and then cut into bite-sized cubes. Meanwhile, cook potato in boiling water, just until cooked, but not falling apart.

Mix together cream of chicken soup, milk and Italian seasoning/herbs in a large bowl. Add in cream and pepper to soup mix. Add chicken, potato and vegetables and mix well. Pour over bottom crust (already rolled out in a pie plate) and then cover with top crust. Crimp edges together and then make “vent” hole in top crust. (You can just make some “slashes” with a knife in a cute pattern or use a small cookie cutter in the center of the top crust.) Bake in a 425 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until crust is browned.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum  
2 Pages V   1 2 Next
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:21 AM