Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse
Sweet Magnolia's Farm
Advertise your Etsy Store, Blog or Website here!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Liquid Embroidery

anyone still DO this? LOL

barbara
post Jan 12 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Newbie Cutie
Group: Sugar Pie Sista

This past winter my parents moved and downsized. My sisters and I had the privelage of rummaging through a lot of their stuff.
Through this we came across loads of supplies for liquid embroidery.
Patterns, Paints (with dried up tips, unfortunately), and so many projects started!
Do any of you still do this, or know of people that do?
It was interesting to see there are still sites up online that sell the supplies.
I am almost tempted to give it a go and see if i can give it a new twist to life. There's got to be some way i can make something nice out of it! LOL. (or just resort to doing some on pillow cases to sleep on and for me to see)
my grandma made a blanket out of blocks that had all the US states flowers and birds on a block. it was beautiful. i don't know if i like the wall hanging things, as some are a little tacky...but i do love this concept!
so.....c'mon! anyone still have these in their attic? LOL
Online resources
trichem
art cove

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Molly
post Jan 12 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #2

Sugar Pie Mama

Barbara, I've been wondering about this lost 'art form' myself. Every so often I see a stray tablecloth or napkin set done in Trichem at a thrift store and keep thinking that pretty soon it is going to become the 'latest hot collectible'. Doncha think? I mean, who would ever have thought there'd be people PURPOSELY decorating their homes a la 70's with the mushroom cannister sets, orange formica breakfast tables and shag rugs. Ugh... LOL! My own mom thinks I'm totally nutz to be ecstatic over finding an old pair of cat-eye glass frames or some embroidered pillowcases. To each his own. Hope you have fun making something wonderful with your mom's saved treasures.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ketha
post Jan 13 2010, 01:11 AM
Post #3

Sugar Pie Mama

If we're speaking about the same thing... I use to do a lot of this in the late 70's early 80's...mainly seasonal sweatshirts, tee shirts and other items that fit in. I came across some of my old paint just a few days ago and was wondering if I should "try to use them" or just toss them..little did I know that I would have this conversation. LOL. The difficult decision is just what I said... to toss or not. Like most new hobbies...it costs a lot up front, but then on it's mainly replenishing your supplies... and not near as costly. I'll probably hang on to my "stuff" a little longer just to see if I have time to work some project in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lbpsews
post Jan 13 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Sugar Pie Baby

I have a funny or not, story about liquid embroidery! My mom was way into those Tri-Chem liquid embroidery sets. Tri-Chem was a home party, like Tupperware.

I was in our newly nenovated family room and was working on a liquid emb. project in the floor. When it was time to go to bed, I just left everything in the floor. My Dad worked 2nd shift and came home at 1:00 a.m. That night he chose to come through the sliding doors into the family room instead of the front door. He stepped on a tube of orange paint and it squirted everywhere! All over the new carpet, the newly finished closet doors, on his fake leather covered bar.

That pretty much ended my liquid embroidery career. Luckily this was in the 1970's and the carpet was a indoor/outdoor carpet that was mostly orange and brown, so the paint didn't show too bad. He made me take the closet door down, sand it, re-finish it and put it back up. Not to mention the grounding that I got. I was 12 or 13 years old at the time. Way old enough to know not to leave paint in the floor.

It was fun while it lasted! LOL!! wink.gif

Linda

--------------------
Come and sit a spell at Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 13 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #5

Sugar Pie Baby

Oh gosh, yes I still use these paints. When my oldest who will be 29 soon was a baby I made her a quilt out of blocks that I had painted animals on. Wish I still had that quilt now. I enjoy using them when I do embroidery too. Some pieces I color with the paints as well as stitching.

--------------------
God is good.....all the time

+Quote Post
Vivian Lee
post Jan 13 2010, 11:17 PM
Post #6

Sugar Pie Mama

Liquid embroidery.......now there's a blast from the past!!!!!! I'm with Molly.....I think it will become a new trend....dresser scarves, doilies, napkins, etc. My Mother used to make pillowcases and the scarves etc. I think dinner napkins would be cool.....you could have them for every occassion!!

--------------------
I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says "Oh crap....she's up!"

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum  
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 06:21 PM