Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse
Sweet Magnolia's Farm
Advertise your Etsy Store, Blog or Website here!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What does a "Red Door" mean to you?

Ketha
post Apr 19 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #1

Sugar Pie Mama
Group: Sugar Pie Sista

I'm wanting to paint my front door red. Some of my hubby's family said "hummmm what are you doing in the evening?" I was horrified. I know what it means to me but wanted to know how others look at a "red door" I tried to explain it to them and all they said was "yeah, right".... by the way, most are not believers.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum
2 Pages V   1 2 Next  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
mrsapron
post Apr 19 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Sugar Pie Mama

I love red front doors and have never thought (or heard) of them meaning anything other than "Welcome".

I bet lots of dear ladies on here have red front doors. Very cheery.

+Quote Post
Lauren
post Apr 19 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Newbie Cutie

I live close to Charlotte, and there is an adult store called The Red Door. I don't know if it's a chain or not, but maybe that's what they were referring too.

--------------------
Southern Sassafras.

Always remember there is nothing worth sharing, like the love that let us share our name.

+Quote Post
PunkinPie
post Apr 19 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #4

Sugar Pie Baby

It makes me think of Elizabeth Arden cosmetics (Red Door).....but it does not make me think of what your hubby's family thought of - maybe they were just joking around trying to be funny about the red light inference. I hope you told them "hardy har har". wink.gif

One of my neighbors has a red door and to be honest it's quite nice. The house is a very pale grey and the red door (with a gold knocker) just really sets it off. There's a pretty red Adirondack chair sitting on the porch too - really ties it all together nicely. Want me to take a picture of it and try to post it for you? smile.gif

--------------------
Jesus came to a real world as a real Man to help real people.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes." - Guy Clark

+Quote Post
pinkfrosting
post Apr 19 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #5

Sugar Pie Teeny Bopper

I've never made any other associations with red doors than hospitality and Elizabeth Arden. Lol. I wouldn't think too much about it.

I know that different carvings in shutters used to mean different things. Heart cut-outs indicated a brothel, clubs indicated a bar/public house, spades were (I think) a pawn shop, etc.

--------------------
My Blog

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
-Mark Twain

+Quote Post
scrapbook1
post Apr 19 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #6

Sugar Pie Mama

To me, it means "welcome" and "hospitality"....makes me think of my home growing up as a kid, we had a good old century home w/a Williamsburg Red door.....

--------------------
~*~Terri in Ohio~*~

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.~~Albert Camus

+Quote Post
GrandmaSoucie
post Apr 19 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #7

Sugar Pie Mama

It means welcome to me as well, but here is something I found when I googled "red door meaning."

In China, it's tradition to paint the front door red before the new year, to invite good luck and happiness.

In Catholocism, the red door on a chapel symbolized the blood of christ, and other martyrs, to signify that the ground beyond the door (inside the church) was holy, and a sanctuary from physical and spiritual evils.

In Ireland, front doors are painted red to ward-off ghosts and evil spirits.

People have been painting their doors red for quite some time. I don't think having a red door would necessarily be out-of-context on an older house.

I think there may be other origins of this tradition as well. Russian tradition comes to mind, but I'm not sure...

Everyone has an idea of what it means, but I would quote the one about Catholocism to your in-laws! lol!

In everything, give thanks,
GrandmaSoucie

--------------------

In everything, give thanks,
GrandmaSoucie

http://grandmasoucielovestosew.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
Dayle Lynn
post Apr 19 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #8

Newbie Cutie

I love red doors. They are so warm and welcoming, I am always curious as to what the inside looks like. Paint your door and enjoy it.

Blessings........
Dayle

+Quote Post
SunnySide
post Apr 19 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #9

Sugar Pie Mama

To me it says the people living inside have good taste! laugh.gif

--------------------

I LOVE to Crochet and I have an Etsy shop!! Come on over!

+Quote Post
Old House Kitche...
post Apr 19 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #10

Newbie Cutie

I'd never heard that. Hmm... I would say to go ahead and paint it red if you like, but if these relatives come over often and will bother you with jokes and such then I might pick a different color. Another thought...red is the color that fades quickest in the sun. Just a little FYI. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ketha
post Apr 19 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #11

Sugar Pie Mama

Thank you ladies.... from where I come from... a red door means "hospitality"... "Welcome"... nothing more. I'm still going on with my plans and they'll have to accept it. Then again, I'm also one that has lots of decorative pillows on my bed and they think that's crazy as well... I really think it's where they're from. They call young women and older women ..."hefers" and to me, that's an insult.

Just wondering ...and again thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dayle Lynn
post Apr 19 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #12

Newbie Cutie

QUOTE (Ketha @ Apr 19 2010, 04:21 PM) *
Thank you ladies.... from where I come from... a red door means "hospitality"... "Welcome"... nothing more. I'm still going on with my plans and they'll have to accept it. Then again, I'm also one that has lots of decorative pillows on my bed and they think that's crazy as well... I really think it's where they're from. They call young women and older women ..."hefers" and to me, that's an insult.

Just wondering ...and again thanks

I bet this is never a dull moment when they come to visit. LOL
They do sound interesting.

Blessings.......
Dayle

+Quote Post
Fancy Nancy
post Apr 19 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #13

Sugar Pie Baby

My sister had a red door on her house once and it was so pretty! I've never heard any negative connotations about red doors. I hope you'll post a picture when you get done!

--------------------
"I come from a family where gravy is a beverage" ~ Erma Bombeck

+Quote Post
SuzzyQ
post Apr 19 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #14

Sugar Pie Mama

I have a red door and nothing but hospitality here!

I'm actually going to paint my front door black because I've had the red one for so long. Just want a change and every time I see a
black door, I just love the way it contrasts the color of the house.

I've heard of "red light" districts before but not red doors.

--------------------
"If we aren't having any fun, why are we doing it?"

+Quote Post
pinkfrosting
post Apr 19 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #15

Sugar Pie Teeny Bopper

QUOTE (SuzzyQ @ Apr 19 2010, 10:53 PM) *
I have a red door and nothing but hospitality here!

I'm actually going to paint my front door black because I've had the red one for so long. Just want a change and every time I see a
black door, I just love the way it contrasts the color of the house.

I've heard of "red light" districts before but not red doors.

That sounds lovely! I gotta say though, from nothing but a purely subconscious level, that this made the riff from "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones start running through my head. lol. You know, "I see a red door and I want to paint it black"...lol. One of my fave songs (which is weird because I'm such an upbeat person) so it's definitely a good thing! lol!

--------------------
My Blog

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
-Mark Twain

+Quote Post
barbara
post Apr 20 2010, 09:00 AM
Post #16

Newbie Cutie

i've never thought THOSE thoughts about a red door when i see one. but,i personally haven't ever really LOVED a red door that i've seen yet. i don't know why, or what. i guess i'm thinking BRIGHT red (sad.gif), vrs. like a burgendy or duller red (smile.gif). i do love those red door wreaths though! the ones with the little red cherries or whatever those fake balls are supposed to be. LOL.
i don't paint my door, cause my dh is like that....LOL, but if i would hmmmmm....i would probably choose a light blue. not baby blue...but more a sky blue i guess. i hope it matchs the rest of the house. LOL.i love the grey/blue house combo's. YUMMY!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ms. Liz
post Apr 20 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #17

Newbie Cutie

I always think of good luck and welcome when I see a red door. I love them!

--------------------

+Quote Post
CammieD
post Apr 20 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #18

Newbie Cutie

Well, I'm a pastor's wife and we have a red front door on the parsonage... so what does that mean for me? Haha! I say if you want to paint your front door red, go for it! My mom didn't listen to ANYONE when they told her not to paint her house pink and green, and she did it! Haha! Just kidding, but seriously, paint the door! I love red doors!

--------------------
~Live Light & Go With The Flow~
www.wholesomedelphgoodness.blogspot.com

+Quote Post
The TinMans Wife...
post Apr 20 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #19

Newbie Cutie

LOVE...LOVE....LOVE......Red Doors..I have a red front door with red rocking chairs on my porch...it all depends on the shade of red you use.....not too pink..not too orange or brown....one of my faves is Valspar---La Fonda Geraninum Red....from Lowe's.

BLessings & Hugs, biggrin.gif

~Dinah

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sunflower4jc
post Apr 20 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #20

Sugar Pie Mama

I think that red doors are very classy - in fact, if they allowed us to paint in my apartment complex, my door would be red! I also like the idea that it symbolizes that the Blood of Jesus covers this house - kinda like the Israelites painting lamb's blood on the doorposts of their homes at Passover right before they left Egypt.

So I would say go for it! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum  
2 Pages V   1 2 Next
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:13 AM