Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse
Sweet Magnolia's Farm
Advertise your Etsy Store, Blog or Website here!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mrs Smith's Bluing

Ketha
post Apr 20 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #1

Sugar Pie Mama
Group: Sugar Pie Sista

We have a new store in town....WinCo. It's large like Sam's Club and Costco but you don't have to buy in bulk. Hubby and I were taking a "discovery" stroll through the store and low and behole...standing there on the top shelf was Mrs. Smith's Bluing. Am I the only one that remembers that product? Mom used it all the time... I think it was added to the laundry to make whites whiter.... but then, that's when all linens were white and the pillowcases had to be ironed. Just wondering. I mainly wonder who buys it today and how do they use it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Radiana
post Apr 20 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #2

Sugar Pie Mama

I remember Mrs. Smith's Bluing, my mom used it. I don't remember when it happened that sheets and pillowcases came out in colors and prints. I also remember thinking that women with totally white hair may have used a bit of the bluing because some of them had a pretty soft blue cast to their hair.

Speaking of old fashioned products does anyone remember Lydia Pinkham? I just googled it, what do you know the company is still in business.

+Quote Post
Vivian Lee
post Apr 21 2012, 08:11 AM
Post #3

Sugar Pie Mama

I love these strolls back in time..... I remember the bluing too. My Mother used it in the whites, and my Aunt Avanelle, who was a hair dresser, used it in her hair, and I'm assuming some of her customers. She passed at a somewhat early age and the family always felt it was the chemicals she put in her hair that caused her cancer.

Ketha....hope you're feeling good. I think of you all the time and continue to pray for you.

Also....just read an article about WinCo yesterday on the retail report my company sends out.....they are giving away 200 bags of groceries to promote their opening....hope you got one!!! The bags were supposed to be filled with everyday items. I thought it was a great idea!

--------------------
I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says "Oh crap....she's up!"

+Quote Post
Luseelou
post Apr 21 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Newbie Cutie

I am glad you got Winco. I shop at it all the time. The bulk foods are wonderful there, too !

I have the bluing. I used it on some vintage pillowcases. Supposed to add to your birdbath to keep it clean longer. It is some sort of mineral and not harmful to the birds.
Sure would like to have an old glass bluing bottle for the shelf in my laundry room.

+Quote Post
mrsapron
post Apr 22 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #5

Sugar Pie Mama

I can't think that I have seen Mrs. Smith's Bluing - - around here we have Mrs. Stewart's Bluing, it has been
on the grocer's shelves my whole life but I have never bought it.

I don't know alot about it except that Clorox can sometimes leave whites with a slight yellow tinge so people use the bluing to avoid the yellow.

Not sure why you would want hair with a blue tinge but I have seen it too.

Mrs. Stewart's has a website with oodles of info - from history to different uses -

http://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/purpose.htm

+Quote Post
Luseelou
post Apr 22 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #6

Newbie Cutie

You are right, it is Mrs. Stewarts bluing..

+Quote Post
Ketha
post Apr 23 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #7

Sugar Pie Mama

Duh.... I was thinking of something else at the time I wrote this post. Your right...it is Mrs. Stewarts

--------------------

+Quote Post
amytheyarnfiend
post Apr 23 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #8

Sugar Pie Mama

Hmmmmmm, I might have to give this a try, since we can't use bleach with our well and septic system. And Winco is da bomb.com!!!! I lose my mind in the bulk bins-- Oh, how I love swedish fish ... smile.gif

--------------------
Never dig up doubt where you have planted faith!

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum  
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 12:05 PM