Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse
Sweet Magnolia's Farm
Advertise your Etsy Store, Blog or Website here!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lemon Phosphate Anyone?

JeanM
post Jun 25 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Sugar Pie Baby
Group: Sugar Pie Sista

Could any of you ladies help me out with a recipe for a lemon phosphate? My husband used to get this drink occasionally at a drugstore back in the 1960's. I would like to surprise him sometime with a homemade version of one. I've googled it and found a little info but not really anything that helps me. Do any of you have any ideas for me?

Thanks so much!

Jean

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
EssieScott
post Jun 25 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #2

Newbie Cutie

Jean

I did a search---look and see if this might help--scroll down to the bottom. http://www.cloudcreations.com/cafe/sodafountian.html

Essie

+Quote Post
JeanM
post Jun 25 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #3

Sugar Pie Baby

Essie, thanks so much. That's actually one of the sites I saved as a last resort if I can't find something closer to the original. I'm thinking even if I don't come up with something that tastes like his "lemon phosphate" some of those recipes will still be pretty tasty to him!

Thanks again, Essie.

Love, jean

+Quote Post
Ketha
post Jun 26 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #4

Sugar Pie Mama

Jean...

I found this website:
http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/soda-recipes.html

I also read on another site this... you might try it.

Phosphates
Phosphates were carbonated beverages made-from-scratch by the "soda jerk" using carbonated soda water, flavored syrups and phosphoric acid, an ingredient still used today in many brands of soda-pop including Coke. Popular flavors included cherry, lime (usually called a green river), chocolate and vanilla. The variations were limited only by creativity, creating such hybrids as the cherry-lime rickey. The trick here is to find the phosphoric acid. Find a pharmacist over 50, and ask if they carry it or know where you might find some. Soda jerks kept it in a shaker bottle (like hot sauce or worchestershire) and added just a few drops to each phosphate.

Let me know... and did you find any homemade root beer the other day?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeanM
post Jun 26 2009, 05:17 AM
Post #5

Sugar Pie Baby

Thanks, Ketha! The website you sent is one of three I did bookmark for future use and I also read the paragraph you have excerpted. I plan to ask around the stores in my area, but I don't expect to have much results. People here seem to have just appeared from nowhere in the last decade and know nothing of the past! I'll let you know, but I'm expecting to have to substitute citric acid for the phosphate.....we'll see!

I did find the homemade root beer! Your directions for everything were great. I'm not sure I bought the root beer from the same place you did, but I found the bulk foods store and Kauffmans, etc. Did you by any chance go in the Gordonville Book Store that was (I think) on the same road as the rootbeer sign and maybe the same road as Centreville Bulk Foods (not sure about that, though!)? The bookstore was great! No electricity....light was given by gas and those mantle thingies that you see in Coleman lanterns! They had a room devoted to their homeschool curriculum which I dearly would have loved to spend an hour in but I discovered it at the end of my perusal there and I had already left my husband outside cooling his heels for probably 30 to 45 minutes! I shouldn't have worried though, there was a field next door that a little boy was making hay in and my husband was in his element standing and watching and later talking to the little boy's farmer dad. I probably could have stayed another hour and he wouldn't have minded! We had a great time that day and now my mission is to find root beer extract for my husband so "he" can make some root beer. He said he made some when he was a child and wants to make it now for our grandchildren! And, I've made it my mission to find out how to make lemon phosphates for him.....as a surprise!

Be sure to let us know how your root beer turns out, Ketha!

Love, Jean

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum  
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 06:52 PM