Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse Sugar Pie Farmhouse
Sweet Magnolia's Farm
Advertise your Etsy Store, Blog or Website here!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New Home Update!

SuzzyQ
post Sep 17 2017, 10:11 AM
Post #1

Sugar Pie Mama
Group: Sugar Pie Sista

We have been living in the trees for just over a month now and I am loving it so much! We were able to get a much newer 5th wheel to brave the 2017 winter. When it gets really cold, we will move it into the shop where there will be a wood stove to help heat the building. The shop goes up next week, which is really exciting news because there is a shortage of building materials. The roof trusses were back-ordered 6 weeks which means nothing gets started. We were warned about the hurricane rebuilding and a lot of the building materials are going to Texas & Florida.
The house is another story. It won't be started for another month, at least. We figured we would move in sometime during the spring of 2018 so we are on target. The finish work will be done by us; carpet, tile, wood floor, cabinets. They will do the sheet rock & painting. I will have the winter months to make choices. Sounds like fun but it can be somewhat overwhelming, too. I feel very fortunate to have sold our home and have a new beginning at this point in our lives.

--------------------
"If we aren't having any fun, why are we doing it?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
GrandmaSoucie
post Oct 2 2017, 07:53 AM
Post #2

Sugar Pie Mama

That's so exciting, SuzzyQ!!! I know you are going to enjoy your new adventure ,but if you are like me at all, you will also be frustrated by the process!! It's fun to see things changing, but boy, were our changes slow at times!! Looking back now, it was quite an adventure. Enjoy the process if you can and get that building finished! That will make it totally different since you will be able to go outside the trailer without going outside where it's cold! Thinking of you!

--------------------

In everything, give thanks,
GrandmaSoucie

http://grandmasoucielovestosew.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
SuzzyQ
post Oct 20 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #3

Sugar Pie Mama

Our shop is going up finally & we will move our 5th wheel into it to keep the snow off and help us not freeze to death until the house is built. They applied for the permit and now we wait for 4 to 6 weeks for that. They can lay heavy tarps on the ground to hold off the frost somewhat. I am not counting on anything at this point. We have a cozy 5th wheel with plenty of room for the two of us so I am determined to be content. I have heard of too many tragedies lately to take anything I am going through seriously!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Denise
post Oct 23 2017, 08:05 AM
Post #4

Sugar Pie Teeny Bopper

So glad they are moving forward and they are getting those permits. Even though it may be difficult to be in the 5th wheel over winter I am sure it is exciting and will be more so as you see things come together.

--------------------
God is good.....all the time

+Quote Post
Molly
post Oct 31 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #5

Sugar Pie Mama

So nice to hear how things are moving ahead for you! I wish I could have had my daughter and SIL deal with contractors you trust. They broke ground on their new home in May and are only just at the foundation stage. They are BEYOND frustrated and angry at their builder and contractor. They were supposed to have a home to move into by February but it is looking like they will not be there at least until May now. Their builder promoted himself as a Christian contractor but has not kept his word with them and his subs have not either, we are so sad for them. Most all new construction goes over budget (that is the norm, right?) but they are going so, so, so far over that they will probably have to sell off everything they can including their dog in order to be able to manage their basic living expenses during this construction.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SuzzyQ
post Nov 17 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #6

Sugar Pie Mama

So sorry to hear this, Molly. It shouldnít be this way! We have had a few delays but nothing like what youíre describing.
Hopefully, things will improve for them.
Our shop should be finished in 2weeks and we can move inside. Just bought a wood stove so we will be toasty warm in the beautiful snow belt we moved to. Honestly, itís so gorgeous and refreshing to wake up to snowy trees at every window! We have a snowplow and a tractor with a blade on it so we can get out easily if it snows a ton.
We are still waiting for a building permit on the house but again, I refuse to worry. Godís timing is perfect and I am resting in that fact.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SuzzyQ
post Dec 6 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #7

Sugar Pie Mama

Still no building permit for the house. Itís because we are in the county that it is taking so long. We were told if we were building in town, we would have had our permit the next day! Well, that isnít where our property is!

We do have a shop, though and itís so nice! Dark gray and copper; beautiful! Looks like a house. Maybe we should just move in there..........

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrsapron
post Dec 28 2017, 08:24 AM
Post #8

Sugar Pie Mama

So glad for your good news although brrrr I hope the winter is not too cold !!!

+Quote Post
SuzzyQ
post Jan 22 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #9

Sugar Pie Mama

We moved into the shop on December 30th. Itís so much warmer and dryer and quieter(!) inside.

We cancelled our house and we are contracting it out ourselves. We have so many friends in the building industry including a plumber & electrician. Theyíve done work for us before so here we go! Maybe by next Christmas weíll have a house but for now itís enough that we have a home in a beautiful 5th-wheel in a shop.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 18 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #10

Sugar Pie Teeny Bopper

Oh my that is quite and undertaking. But when it is finished I am sure you will love it knowing you had control over how things are done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SuzzyQ
post Feb 19 2018, 05:10 PM
Post #11

Sugar Pie Mama

It takes forever to get a permit these days! Hopefully, by June?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 19 2018, 06:10 PM
Post #12

Sugar Pie Teeny Bopper

Oh yes those permits are a pesky business. I remember how difficult it was when we were just building our addition.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Girl Talk Forum  
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th August 2020 - 03:38 PM